(short play: a parent responds to a child’s question about a distant country, evoking questions and stories of borders, migration, belonging and gender)
"Foreign Goods Last Forever 2", Pokfulam Road Productions, Theatre 503, London (24, 25 April 2017) & Untold Stories, Slam, King's Cross, London, (29, 30 April 2017)
Books: on writing
(editor & contributor)
original writing and reflective essays about the process of creation
by Jane Draycott, Kathryn Heyman, Sabyn Jillani, Emily Raboteau, Colm Breathnach, Fred D'Aguiar, Philip Gross, Amal Chatterjee.
Creative Writing Studies, UK, 2013.
Books: fictionAcross the Lakes
a novel set in Kolkata/Calcutta.
Phoenix House UK & Penguin India, 1998.
the creation of India in the colonial imagination
Macmillan UK & St Martin's Press USA, 1998.
Selection short fiction & other writing
"Is India a Bully to Neighbouring Countries?/Start with Sri Lanka" (with Siddharth Chatterjee, in the Times of India, Huffington Post, Economic Times) September 2013
"Seven times three", in Algebra, the online magazine of the Tramway Theatre, Glasgow, August 2011.
"Raymond", TimeOut Amsterdam, 2008.
"Schooldays", Departures, "India Now" issue, Oct 2008.
"Destiny", excerpt from a novel-in-progress, Nirvanas, in the bookzine Atlas:01, 2006.
"Birth", for "The Perforated Spirit: Three Eerie Tales" (collaboration with Bill Broady & Paul Houghton), Ilkley Literature Festival, 2000.
Subjects include fiction, history, contemporary British, contemporary Pakistani writing, Booker Prize shortlists.
Awards & Residences
Creative Scotland Awards, shortlist, 2001.
Writer-in-Residence at the Ilkley Literature Festival, UK, 2000.
Scottish Arts Council Writer's Bursary, 1998.
Crossword (India) Best Novel Award, shortlist, 1998.
Literary Festival Advisory
Adviser, Writers Unlimited (formerly
Winternnachten), Literary Festival of the city of the
Hague, the Netherlands, since 2010.
- Fiction Editor, Gitanjali
Creative Writing Teaching
- Senior Course Tutor/Assistant Course Director,
Fiction, University of Oxford (UK), Master
Studies (MSt) in Creative Writing (since 2006)
- Tutor, Creative Writing. Online courses,
University of Oxford (UK), Getting
with Creative Writing (since 2009)
- Organiser and Fiction Tutor, Amsterdam Creative Writing Weekends
(since 2009: workshops in Amsterdam, Paris, Prague)
- Fiction Tutor, Zurich
Writing Workshops (2010)
- Trainer, Academic Writing, Writing for
Publication, Lecturing in English for the Taalcentrum,
Vrije Universiteit (Free University) Amsterdam; the
Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research
(University of Amsterdam); Aarhus School of Business,
Denmark, University of Coimbra, Portugal, and at other
institutions in the Netherlands and Europe. Since
- Freelance language consultant & trainer (since 2007, see tomali languages for details)
- Lecturer, English, Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands, 2001 - 2006.
- Lecturer, English, Hogeschool Inholland, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 2001 - 2002.
- Tutor, English as a Foreign Language, University of Glasgow, UK 1990 - 2001.
- Tutor to Testamur, Dept. of Applied Linguistics, University of Exeter, UK, 1993 - 1994.
- Lecturer, ESOL & Communication, Langside
College, Glasgow, UK, 1990 - 1992.
Articles in the Media (selected)
- Occcasional articles, Departures, travel magazine (USA)
- "Break down the door", on UK immigration
Edinburgh, UK, August 2000
- "Men one cannot do business with", on representations of Saddam Hussein and Tipu Sultan, The Independent, London, UK, June 1998.
- (mentioned previously), book reviews in Trouw (here)