(editor & contributor)
original writing and reflective essays about the process of creation
by Jane Draycott, Kathryn Heyman, Sabyn Jillani, Emily Raboteau, Colm Breathnach, Fred D'Aguiar, Philip Gross, Amal Chatterjee.
Creative Writing Studies, UK, 2013.
Across the Lakes
a novel set in Kolkata/Calcutta.
Phoenix House UK & Penguin India, 1998.
the creation of India in the colonial imagination
Macmillan UK & St Martin's Press USA, 1998.
Selected Short Fiction & Other Writing
"Is India a Bully to Neighbouring Countries?/Start with Sri Lanka" (with Siddharth Chatterjee, in the Times of India, Huffington Post, Economic Times) September 2013
"Seven times three", in Algebra, the online magazine of the Tramway Theatre, Glasgow, August 2011.
"Raymond", TimeOut Amsterdam, 2008.
"Schooldays", Departures, "India Now" issue, Oct 2008.
"Destiny", excerpt from a novel-in-progress, Nirvanas, in the bookzine Atlas:01, 2006.
"Birth", for "The Perforated Spirit: Three Eerie Tales" (collaboration with Bill Broady & Paul Houghton), Ilkley Literature Festival, 2000.
Subjects include fiction, history, contemporary British, contemporary Pakistani writing, Booker Prize shortlists.
Awards & Residences
Creative Scotland Awards, shortlist, 2001.
Writer-in-Residence at the Ilkley Literature Festival, UK, 2000.
Scottish Arts Council Writer's Bursary, 1998.
Crossword (India) Best Novel Award, shortlist, 1998.
Literary Festival Advisory
Adviser, Writers Unlimited (formerly
Winternnachten), Literary Festival of the city
of the Hague, the Netherlands, since 2010.
Creative Writing Teaching
- Senior Course Tutor/Assistant Course Director,
Fiction, University of Oxford (UK), Master
in Creative Writing (since 2006)
- Tutor, Creative Writing. Online courses,
University of Oxford
with Creative Writing (since 2009)
- Organiser and Fiction Tutor, Amsterdam
Writing Weekends (since 2009)
- Fiction Tutor, Zurich
Writing Workshops (2010)
- Trainer, Academic Writing, Writing for
Publication, Lecturing in
English for the Taalcentrum,
Vrije Universiteit (Free
University) Amsterdam; the Amsterdam Institute for
Social Science Research
(University of Amsterdam); Aarhus School of Business,
Denmark, and at other institutions in the
Netherlands and Europe. Since 2007.
- Freelance language consultant & trainer (since 2007, see tomali languages for details)
- Lecturer, English, Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands, 2001 - 2006.
- Lecturer, English, Hogeschool Inholland, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 2001 - 2002.
- Tutor, English as a Foreign Language, University of Glasgow, UK 1990 - 2001.
- Tutor to Testamur, Dept. of Applied Linguistics, University of Exeter, UK, 1993 - 1994.
ESOL & Communication, Langside College, Glasgow,
UK, 1990 -
Articles in the Media (selected)
- Occcasional articles, Departures, travel magazine (USA)
down the door", on UK immigration
Edinburgh, UK, August 2000
- "Men one cannot do business with", on representations of Saddam Hussein and Tipu Sultan, The Independent, London, UK, June 1998.
- (mentioned previously), book reviews in Trouw (here)